Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Beijing Days 1 and 2

This past weekend was my trip to Beijing and the Great Wall of China.  It was awesome.  I will take this day by day:

Day Train:  We took the Bullet train to Beijing, which is cool from an engineering standpoint since it uses Magnetic Levitation and goes 300 km/hr.  It also only took 4-5 hours, which is why it is so convenient.  Finally, we arrived and got to the hostel, which was also a pretty nice Hostel.  We were dead hungry when we got to the train station, so we ate there, not in the city.

Day 1: Tienanmen Square and Forbidden City:  Very cool area also.  Hard to really describe, you just have to go there. Forbidden City is a huge city where a Chinese Emperor would live in the Ming and Qing dynasties.  Lots of beautiful buildings and a nice garden area.  And...my camera was out of batteries.

Olympic area:  We toured around the area that held the 2008 Beijing summer games.  For me, this was really special; I love the Olympics, and I thought the Beijing games stood out as one of the best in recent memory.  We were able to go into the Birds nest and Water Cube.  Again, no camera, but I do have some pictures from my phone, which will upload when I get back to the US. (On August 11th)

We had dinner at a restaurant that served really good Peking Duck.  It was awesome and delicious.  There was also a dish with bacon wrapped mushrooms (also incredible, we ordered a second plate).  And my camera was still out of batteries (warning, I am breaking trends; no amazing food pictures will be included in this post, even though the food was amazing)

Day 2: Summer Palace: Finally my camera was charged!  Summer Palace was a HUGE area with lakes, bridges, ponds, and temples.  Really really cool area.  Proof?  I finally have proof!!!:

(Ok, but first, dinner: we were in the mood for Mexican, so we went to a really good mexican restaurant and I had steak for the first time in two and a half months.  It wasn't the best steak I've ever had, but it tasted glorious)










Man painting Chinese calligraphy with water using a brush



Ok, so the internet is being strange. I will post the rest of my trip very soon, but it is probably a good idea for me to separate the posts.

1 comment:

  1. When you decide to retire from engineering you really could become a travel writer! Thank you for all of the amazing posts!

    ReplyDelete